This Explanatory Memorandum refers to the Environment (Northern Ireland) Order 2002 (N.I. 7)
THE ENVIRONMENT (NORTHERN IRELAND) ORDER 2002
2002 No. 3153 (N.I. 7)
1. This Environment (Northern Ireland) Order 2002 (the Order) was made on 17 December 2002.
2. The purpose of the Order is to:
- (a) provide a statutory framework to enable transposition of the requirements of EC Directives 96/61 on Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (the IPPC Directive) and 96/62 on Ambient Air Quality Assessment and Management;
- (b) make additional provision for the prevention and control of environmental pollution; and
- (c) introduce measures to allow for the better protection and management of Areas of Special Scientific Interest (ASSIs).